The standards for certification are compiled at national, European and international level. There are more than 100,000 standards that are regularly revised. Manufacturers, importers, and distributors often wonder what standards apply to their product, below you will find out 9 interesting facts about CE marking . Our technical and legal experts determine the correct standards for your product and ensure proper application for product certification.
Products that are not certified in accordance with the proper standard are not only a hazard for the end user, but also for your company. To avoid operational damage and claims, we ensure that your product is in accordance with the legal requirements.
There are many categories for products, CE Marking is mandatory for machinery, electrical and electronic equipment, medical devices and other products. If you are willing to sell any of these in the EU you will need to have these products certified.
Below you will find a list with 9 interesting facts about CE Marking:
- The CE mark, is a mandatory conformity mark for certain products that are sold within the European Economic Area since 1985.
- CE stands for Conformité Européenne, which means European conformity.
- With the CE mark a manufacturer proves compliance with EU health, safety and environmental protection legislation and confirms a product is compliant with relevant requirements.
- With a CE mark, your product can be sold in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
- The manufacturer or authorised representative must keep technical documentation for a number of years (depends on the product type) after the product has been released on the market.
- Unsafe products are shared in the EU by RAPEX. This is a Rapid Alert System which enables quick exchange of information between the 31 European countries.
- The size of the CE mark must be at least 5mm high. If the mark does not fit the product or cannot be placed on it, the marking has to be affixed to the packaging.
- CE marking itself is not an evidence of compliance, your technical file must prove the conformity.
- Pre-testing or clever procurement of your product in an early development process can reduce cost and time to market.